I apologize for the delay in posting! It has been very busy here, but in a very good way! I have been back in school and driving everyday! What is even more exciting than that is I am dancing again! I am overwhelmed with joy and thanks for this amazing answer to prayer! God has done more than we could ever ask or imagine!
I am leaving tomorrow to return to Bethesda for my 3 month check up. I will also be sharing my story at a meeting of the Washington DC Chapter of the Chiari and Syringomyelia Foundation. I will also be giving Dr. Henderson a letter that I would like to share with all of you.
Dear Dr. Henderson,
Today is my three month “birthday,” or, in other words, I am three months postop today! This day is more than just a medical milestone; it marks three months without a headache, three months with strong legs, three months of sleeping well, three months of standing on my toes, and three months of feeling like the “real” Mackenzie. Those are things that I had not felt or been able to do in almost two years and things I was not sure I would ever be able to do again.
As I look back on my summer in Bethesda, I am reminded of the story in John chapter 5 about a lame man who had been waiting by the pool at Bethesda. The word “Bethesda” literally means “the outpouring of God’s mercy.” This pool was thought to have healing powers, and the superstition of the time was that when the waters were “stirred,” the first person in the pool would be healed. Since the man was lame and had no one to carry him to the waters, he never made it quickly enough into the pool. Day after day, year after year, he waited for healing. One Sabbath, Jesus approached the lame man and asked, “Do you want to get well?” The man responded, “I have no one to help me get into the pool when the water is stirred.” Then Jesus said to the man, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” The man quickly did just as Jesus said and picked up his mat and walked. This man who had been lame for 38 years received his long-awaited healing at Bethesda.
Although my recovery included two surgeries and was less dramatic than picking up my mat and walking, I, too, was restored to good health in Bethesda. God certainly did more than we could have ever asked or imagined.
I want to thank you, Dr. Henderson, for helping me to the “pool.” You did not turn a blind eye to the girl who could not move quickly but instead chose to allow God to use your hands for His will and glory. Because of this and the outpouring of God’s mercy, this same girl is dancing once again!
I am praying for you and for what God is doing through you to help so many patients. May He bless you and continue to guide you as you serve Him!
I want to close this letter with Psalm 30:11—You turned for me my mourning into dancing!
With love and gratitude,
Mackenzie L. Mathis
There is a common saying, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” So here is a picture that is worth at least a thousand words!

So if a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video should be worth about a million words!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYptxUuiETQOnce again, thank you all so very much for your prayers and support!
Love,
Mackenzie

5 comments:
Amazing! I'm sure it will be the highlight of his day! You are truly an inspiration from God!
Hi M,
What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your joy!
Never stop dancing, even if it is only in your dreams (hopefully a very loooong time off).
~e
Dear Mackenzie,
I just had decompression and fusion surgery with Dr. Henderson on Friday. I have been seeing your pictures and hearing your story since the first time I met with him in September. Your mom emailed me the other day, and I was so thrilled to hear from her -- you have become an absolute inspiration to me! I, too, walked for the first time in a very, very long time after surgery, and also woke up without a headache for the first time in years. It is truly amazing, and such a blessing from God, through Dr. Henderson's hands.
Your posts make me cry. You are a beautiful dancer, young woman, and writer. Keep it up, Mackenzie!
Thank you for being so strong, and for giving so many people, me included, hope.
Glad to here that you are dancing again, that's great news! Your letter to Dr. Henderson was beautiful, I know he'll appreciate it!
Take care,
Hua
--
Director of HealthBlogger Networks
www.wellsphere.com
So glad you are able to dance again. Thanks for sending this to me. Sorry it took me so long to see it. lol *hugs* & prayers!
Post a Comment